Friday, March 04, 2005

My sister dreamed she was being chased by giant fish-sticks or Self-Indulgence

I had a dream last night that I had to go back to high school because they'd added another year to our curriculum. I argued to my dean, "We graduated, you let us graduate, I'm doing other things now, I don't live here, I haven't been going to class, you can't expect me to do this again!" and he was just like, "Sorry. Calculus is meeting across the hall."
I had a similar dream a couple months after I graduated from college; that I hadn't been going to a class I was registered for and needed to pass.
Straightforward anxiety dreams are funny, in the morning anyway. I (kind of) wonder why they don't just present as my actual anxiety, me trying, and failing, to get a good job and be successful at this very moment in my life. Though there'd be no relief when I woke up from that. And you have to figure school is still the symbol for success just by virtue of it having 17 years experience in that position, to a job's year and a half.
Like all dreams, this can't interest anyone but me, though recently I've been thinking the reasons dreams are so boring is because we tell them very badly; we refuse to subsume what interests us most to the demands of storyline. For example, this: "I was in this room and it looked like my bedroom in my parents house, except then it was the same classroom I had soc in, and the teacher was the guy who served ice-cream to me 4 weeks ago, but he wasn't, because really he was my gym teacher and then he had a gun" is much worse than "I had a dream last night that my gym teacher tried to shoot me." That will at least elicit, a "that's weird," instead of the super glazed look. The problem, of course, is that the first version, the tangents, morphs, connections, is what's really interesting to the dreamer, though tedious as hell to everyone else. The streamlined version is basically like saying, "I read an article in the Post today about a kid who got shot by his gym teacher." Which, really, is much more interesting, even if totally made-up and not the point.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

If dreams made sense, it would really freak me out. They're easier to handle when I can wake up and brush them away as nonsense. If I dreamed real-life stuff, I would never want to sleep.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

"I read the news today..." oh boy. I have this dream all the time. Mostly during my commute... I still can't decide if that's a) a metaphor for anything or b) if -metaphor or not- it's a good thing or a "Really, you should talk to someone about that... you know, NOW" thing. Regardless, I wake up screaming most times. Well... cheers!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

True enough. It's funny how it takes someone else to say something to realize that's what I ACTUALLY DO! You're right...as boring as it may seem to everyone else the details to the dreamer, are what, in fact, make the dream so vivid, so real.

Nice post.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home