Sunday, April 11, 2004

Ike is wearing an "I go to N'sync concerts for pussy" tee-shirt by no one

So I just read American Psycho. Don't really want to get into it too much because, well, that shit is fucked up, and also, you can't really say anything about it, content and meaning-wise, without being deeply banal. Like, for example, that shit is fucked up. Or, It was really violent. I had to skip most of the paragraphs where he describes horrifically brutalizing women. I think it's a comment about the vapidness of the 80's. Or American culture. Or Western culture. Or rich people. Or all of the above. I don't think people like that exist. I think we are those people. Yawn.
What messed with my head most was not Patrick Bateman and his psychopathic ways, but Brett Easton Ellis. And not for the descriptions of the cutting off limbs with axes and chainsaws, but for all the damn clothes. The man wrote every single one of the 100-odd outfit descriptions in the novel. Like on Page 2," Price is wearing a six-button wool and silk suit by Ermengildo Zegna, a cotton shirt with French cuffs by Ike Behar, a Ralph Lauren silk tie and leather wing tips by Fratelli Rossetti." Last chapter of the book, "I'm wearing a wool suit by Armani, shoes by Allen-Edmonds, pocket square by Brooks Brothers." Screw the intended meaning of all these repetitious descriptions, E-E here had to write every freaking one, demonstrating a really uncanny and frightening knowledge of designer menswear, and implicating himself in Bateman's fucked up world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home