Monday, March 07, 2005

It's springing

outside and it's made everyone feisty. I just witnessed two screaming matches in a 20 minute stroll down 23rd street. The first took place in the library between a dirty man and a librarian, and then another librarian, and then a security guard. The screamer kept asking if they worked for Ms. Kent and threatening to call his congressmen. And then the librarian said she felt sexually harassed. And then the security guard kicked him out. Having spent as much time in the library as I have in the past year, I know people really don't whisper, but they also don't scream. I hid behind the history books watching and trying and failing not to laugh.
Then at Starbucks the barista (baristo?) got in a fight with a customer about the bathroom; she was sick of waiting and it wasn't his problem. Then I think I accidentally took a bigger mocha frappuchino than what I’d ordered. The whip cream on frappuchinos is, to my mind, one of the most egregious examples of the "Super Size Me" problem. How is that whip cream necessary? Or even tastier?
Another uninteresting thing, I saw my least favorite couple of all time on the subway this morning. A mid twentyish guy, dirty blond, fully bearded, sweater over button down in a lumberjack-nerdy way, and his girlfriend, a little (lot) fatter than chubby, wearing pink sneakers, and a huge dirty purple puffy coat to her knees that was inexplicable zipped, but totally off one shoulder. One arm was out of the neck hole of the jacket and the other, still in the jacket. Their arms were wrapped around one another as they poignantly leaned against the door and she tried to sleep on his chest, only to look up every so often and make kissy lips at him. I can't quite explain why they, she particularly, were so horrible except to say, it was a crowded train, it wasn't that early in the morning, they seemed like they were performing "couple in love," and they were inescapably loserish: like the couple that found each other Freshman year and is so happy and horny because they cannot believe their luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home