Monday, January 24, 2005

I honestly thought she'd punched him in the stomach

I woke up this morning and there was no hot water. There's a skylight in my bathroom and when the wind blows, tiny slivers of snow drift down and sprinkle you as you're brushing your teeth. I'm sure not having hot water is somehow related (inversely proportional) to the cold outside, but needing hot water is also somehow related (inversely proportional) to how cold it is outside. Which is to say, the boiler may have frozen but I really need it not to have been.
In other news, Dan and I saw a man flossing his teeth on a city bus this Friday. He didn't even face the window, but flagrantly attacked his teeth with green floss, while the remains of his sandwich stayed in the brown paper bag he was clutching in his right hand. Fucking New Yorkers.
Things I learned this weekend include 1) Pol Pot's real name is Saloth Sar, a factoid I've told everyone I know, because it overwhelms me in a whole name is destiny way. And I wonder if George Lucas knew this because that is the most Star Wars villain name I've ever heard.
2) Lana Turner's teenage daughter murdered a man and got acquitted. I watched "The Bad and The Beautiful" snowed in on Saturday and one of the extras was a docu about Lana with her daughter Cheryl Crane as the main interviewee. So as LT (does this set of initials sound very masculine in general or just because of associations with Lawrence Taylor?) goes through about 5 hubbys and countless lovers she gets hooked up with a Mafioso named Johnny Stampanato who wears gold chains nestled in his chest hair. When did that become a cliché? On background, before dating Stamapanto, Turner was married to Lex Barker, Tarzan, who molested Cheryl. Plus, Turner was just about never home. Anyway, Turner tries to break up with Johnny a couple of times and it doesn't fly. Finally she breaks up with him in her house, and during the screaming fight, Cheryl walks in with a knife and stabs him without saying a word.
What's interesting about this, beyond the E! True Hollywood voyeurism aspect, is Turner's testimony, which basically got her daughter acquitted (or rather, convinced the jury it was justifiable homicide), is the most mannered acting I've ever seen. It really makes you realize what "the method" has done, because just about any actor today could have done a better job seeming authentically upset. Turner seemed 100% inauthentically upset, like she was acting out a scene from "Imitation of Life," down to the tears and kleenex and halting voice. Which led me to wonder if that was what real emotion was for her- 50’s movie dialogue? And did that kind of emotion then seem real to regular movie going people? Because Turner’s testimony is what convinced the jury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home