Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Ferris Bueller plays the clarinet too

I've started considering blogging all the events I go to for work, but I'm a) not sure that's allowed, either by work or whoever's in charge of the events, and b) I can't quite figure out the right tone. Because on the one hand, it's pretty fun I get to go to these things, but on the other they are so, so silly, and a waste of money, a waste of time, and not really all that fun while I'm actually at them. They're these big parties where I don't know anybody and I spend the whole time trying not to look too awkward, drink too much (it's work, after all), and not think about how I really need nicer shoes than the ones I currently have on. Meanwhile, I'm either imposing on someone or being imposed upon. It's a weird scene. One that'd it'd be simple to be snarky about, which, besides being the easy way out, as it usually is, wouldn't capture the utter bizarreness that is a room full of people partying because their job requires it.
I'm going to work on the tone, and in the meantime include this transcription of a mini-interview I did with WoodyFAllenB at the premiere of his latest movie. As set-up, and an excuse for the questions, we were in a very crowded restaurant and his publicist had just scared the shit out of me. He's wearing a crew neck sweater and khakis and there's a circle of space three people deep all around him.
Me: Where did the idea for this film come from?
WA: Just on the street. The ideas for all my films come very randomly. And it just occurred to me one day and I made it into a movie, which I do with a lot of ideas I have and some come out better than others.
Do you think this one is better than others?
I never rate them, because what I think is irrelevant. It's really what other people think.
[At this point I was apparently supposed to say, what about "Broadway Danny Rose?" What about "September." But he's very fragile looking, I didn't want to give him a hard time]
So do you talk to people about your movies to get feedback?
I don't really get any feedback because I live such an isolated life. I rarely get any feedback. I'm just very quiet. If you're a writer... I'm home in my room alone all the time writing. And practicing the clarinet, also alone in my room. So you know, I don't have a lot of contact with people.
You're so prolific, how do you produce so much material?
I like to write, I always find myself writing, so if I’m not writing a movie, I might be working on a play or a piece for the New Yorker. I just like to write, and most of the time it turns out to be a film.
With this movie, are you trying to say life is life tragic or comic, or both all the time?
Well, on stage I try to be funny, in the movies, but in life I tend to be gloomy, so my perception of life is quite tragic with some amusing moments in it, and not comic with some tragic moments in it.
How do you cast your films?
Well I give the script to Juliet Taylor and she reads it and makes suggestions for all the parts. She suggests many people and then we go over all those people. Sometime I know who she's talking about, sometimes I don't and she has to introduce me to them, but eventually between the two of us we narrow it down.
Do you go to the movies a lot?
Not a huge amount, but a reasonable amount. I see most of the pictures that most people see.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ik ben nziel ik woon in zeewolde
he jij waar woon jij
mijn school is landstede
he jij was jouw school

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home