Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Too old to be listening to Z100

Things I know about Evanescence: I know that they are a band. I know that they have a female lead singer. I know that said female singer got in some kind of dispute with lead guitarist/ song writing fellow and he left the band. Don't ask me how I know that though. I know that they just beat 50 Cent out for the Best New Artist Grammy, after he had gone through all the trouble of wearing a suit and getting a snazzy haircut. I also know that their first single got big because it was on the Daredevil soundtrack. I know that they have a crazy amount of fans with gothish, pierced leanings. And I know they thing they are a rock band, in the same style as Linkin Park, and therefore suck a whole lot.
But what confuses me about Evanescence is how they could be a band with fans, a Grammy, and "rock cred", without anyone noticing that they are really a Sarah McLachlan tribute band. Because, after hearing their latest single, it is obvious that Sarah is, if not singing their lead vocals, certainly their guiding musical light. Their latest song might as well be on Fumbling Toward Ecstasy if it's not already: an emotionally distraught woman, moaning and intoning over dramatic instrumentals for an entire, melancholic, song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home