Thursday, June 17, 2004

Everything just sounds better when you talk it

I was busted for talking to myself last night, an activity I've always been a big proponent of, but is increasingly difficult in a neighborhood like mine, where there are people out at all times of day and night, often lounging, smoking, peeing in recessed nooks where you just stumble upon them, mid-sentence, and then shut your mouth, grimace, and stare at the ground while hurrying by. And don't get me started about the people sitting in parked cars and staring out their windows, sitting on their fire escape, who appear out of nowhere, if you see them at all.
So, last night, I was muttering and laughing to myself after work, swinging my new bag around, thinking about what a difficult loon my co-worker is, when this girl smoking by herself in front of a pub, said, "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?"
"Sure."
"Why did you cover your smile with you bag?"
"I didn't think I did. What do you mean?"
"You like, lifted your bag in front of your face when you were laughing."
"[big smile]Oh, I think it was just because I was twirling it around. It wasn't on purpose anyway."
That was all true. Except that it may be instinct at this point to cover my mouth while muttering and hysterically laughing at my own jokes. After all there was that guy in his SUV that I couldn't see and, oh yeah, this girl sitting 20 feet in front of me.
What was most weird/ aggravating about her question is that what she was really asking me was, "Why do you, insecure girl, feel the need to hide you're smile? Smiles are beautiful. And isn't it so like girls to feel constrained about them? Don't hide it, embrace it, because smiles are great." I know that's what she was really asking because she asked me with a knowing half smile intended to convey understanding while eliciting confession. Her eyes had that, I'm a little buzzed, sitting out on the street alone, feeling deep feelings about how the world isn't that small after all. And I know that's what she meant because there's no other reason to ask the question. She assumed that I was purposely covering my smile, and the reasons for doing that all lead to the above train of thought.
Maybe I should take this as a sign to talk more openly on the street. I think I'll take it as a sign to do a better job covering it up. Or, I'll learn sign language. In the subway station yesterday this girl was blatantly signing to herself while racing from the A to the L. And that's way quieter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home